Back To School Auto Care Tips
School is back in session and that may mean your vehicle will be busy with lots of short trips and after-school activities. Or perhaps you are sending your child off to college. No matter what, back-to-school is busy for everyone and now is the perfect time to make sure your car is at the top of its class. Be prepared and get ready for this busy time by following these simple guidelines!
1. Keep Up with Basic Maintenance: Make sure that your car's simple maintenance tasks are done so you can focus on getting your kids to school. Keeping your vehicles oil changed and tires rotated is a great way to make sure that all of your systems are ready to perform. While your car is in for service, the technician will check all the fluid levels and top them off if necessary including brake fluid, transmission fluid and coolant. This is also a great time to replace your wiper blades before the rainfall takes its toll. These easy maintenance tasks will extend the life of your vehicle and keep it functioning properly.
2. Check the Owner’s Manual: Familiarize yourself with the recommended maintenance schedule. If it is time for a 60,000 mile service, take the time to have the vehicle serviced. Most major repairs can be prevented by following manufacturer recommendations. These services are inexpensive in the long run and help ensure you and your family are safe on the road.
3. Check Your Dash Board: Don’t ignore the warning light on your dash. Have it checked out sooner rather than later. Catching a problem early will prevent costly repairs in the future.
4. Be Prepared: Make sure the vehicle has basic safety equipment including jumper cables, a pair of gloves, flashlight with extra batteries, washer fluid and other items. A pre-packaged auto safety kit is also a great choice. They are compact and provide everything you need. Some other good ideas include granola bars, compact winter shovels, ice scrapers, blankets and bottled water.
5. Stay Organized: The cars of busy college students and parents with children in school often resemble cargo trucks after the start of school. Books, sports equipment, gym shoes, etc. often find a permanent home in vehicles. So stay organized! There are a number of bags and organizers which can help maximize the space in your trunk. Carve out some space just for your safety equipment so you will always be prepared.
Taking care of your car now will help to ensure that you and your family will get to your destination safely and on time.
As the days get shorter during the fall months, your headlights will be on longer so now is a great time to make sure you can see and be seen while on the road by checking that all the light bulbs are functioning, and cleaning or replacing any cloudy or scratched lenses.Read More
No matter what, back-to-school is busy for everyone and now is the perfect time to make sure your car is at the top of its class. Be prepared and get ready for this busy time by following these simple guidelines!Read More